January 9th 2009 09:31 pm

The Doctor Called…

Early this morning the nurse practioner called me to let me know the status of what was going on.  He said that the doctor was waiting on a call from UCLA, and then he’d call me.  It was getting later and later and I still hadn’t heard anything.  Finally about 5:30, he called.  He said that after talking to Dr. Chow at City of Hope, I don’t qualify for any of the open trials there.  He said that Dr. Chow recommended an oral drug used in liver and kidney cancer that has shown some positive results in a small trial with angiosarcoma.  It starts with an “N”, but I can’t remember the name.  The doctor hadn’t hear from UCLA; he said that he should hear on Monday.  

So I am still in a sort of holding pattern until Monday.  I have more of a direction but no sure steps yet.  I am thankful that my doctor called me to let me know what was going on.  If we do go for the oral drug, it will have to be approved by my HMO.  That is something we can be praying about.  I think that drug is the one that the study in France is testing.  We’ll be doing our own clinical trial right here in So Cal.  

Tomorrow Kai is taking a week-long vacation to Fresno.  Hopefully we will be able to get some much needed rest.  Kai has been waking up at night.  This morning he woke up at 3:30 and didn’t go back to sleep.  He took a 3 hour nap at school, and we wore him out pretty good after I picked him up, so hopefully he’ll sleep through the night tonight. 

Thank you for all the emails and encouragement in this time of waiting and uncertainty. 



No Comments yet »

Comments are closed.

« | »